[mythtv-users] Mobile Video Player Recommendations (MPEG4)

Dylan Semler dylan.semler at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 16:08:09 UTC 2007

On 1/26/07, Bob Cottingham <bobnvic at gmail.com> wrote:
>  On 1/25/07, Kevin Hulse <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> > Hullo,
> >
> >    I am interested in something like the video ipod. However,
> > I am not interested in re-transcoding everything to be
> > compatable with the video ipod. Are there any units like from
> > iriver or archos that are more mythtv friendly. What exactly
> > is the variant of MPEG4 being used by mythtv (since it's not
> >  H.264) and are there any portable video players that support
> > it?
> >
> >     I would like to just "dock" the video player and have
> > it sync overnight with minimal muss and fuss, preferably
> > being able to completely refresh the 20G or so worth of
> > content that could fit on it. So a simple dump/file copy
> > onto the device would be ideal.
>
> It isn't what you said you were looking for, but I thought I'd throw
> my solution out. I have a PPC 6700 Phone/PDA from Sprint which costs
> about $299 and has a 320x240 screen and both EVDO and WiFi for
<snip>

Speaking of phones, if one wanted to take that route, I've been
following the OpenMoko[1] project for a bit now.  A fully open source
mobile phone complete with a VGA (640 x 480) screen and a GPS.  I'd
expect you could get it to sync and do pretty much anything you could
think of regarding using it as a PMP.  The only downsides is that it's
not out yet (ETA of March) and it doesn't have WiFi. Future
generations of this device look promising.

[1]www.openmoko.com
    http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/announce/2007-January/000000.html

--
Dylan