[mythtv-users] Mobile Video Player Recommendations (MPEG4)

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jan 26 16:28:18 UTC 2007

On Jan 26, 2007, at 9:08 AM, Dylan Semler wrote:

> Speaking of phones, if one wanted to take that route, I've been
> following the OpenMoko[1] project for a bit now.  A fully open source
> mobile phone complete with a VGA (640 x 480) screen and a GPS.  I'd
> expect you could get it to sync and do pretty much anything you could
> think of regarding using it as a PMP.  The only downsides is that it's
> not out yet (ETA of March) and it doesn't have WiFi. Future
> generations of this device look promising.
>

> [1]www.openmoko.com
>     http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/announce/2007-January/
> 000000.html

Looks interesting, but I worry a bit about a release that speaks of
the "inventor of the mobile phone" who "made the first call in 1973".

Certainly there were "mobile" phones prior to that, and I really
don't think anyone "invented" the mobile phone, except perhaps in the
mind of his patent attorney.

Any mobile phone has to operate on somebody's network, and the
problem with a lot of the fancy units (like the iPhone) is that they
want to lock you in to a particular vendor, usually not the best one
for you.

The Nokia 770 looks interesting as well. Not a "phone" in the
traditional sense but it could probably do SIP over the 'net.

Just what I need, another toy I won't use after playing with it for a
month or so :-)