[mythtv-users] Mobile Video Player Recommendations (MPEG4)

greg at nodecam.com greg at nodecam.com
Fri Jan 26 17:10:36 UTC 2007

> In alot of ways, the PSP is a very good viewing device.  With built-in
> Wifi, it isn't hard to get it to stream content to the device either.  I
> believe ffmpeg has decent support (maybe even a built in profile) for
> transcoding content for it.

The PSP is finicky about what video formats it will play back, and it
forces you to use terrible filenames (MAQ40203.MP4 - what show was that
again?)  It does look fantastic, even though Sony won't let you playback
video at the full resolution of the screen (the two resolutions I use are
320x240 and 368x208.)

Transcoding for it is easy once you get the right ffmpeg built/installed -
and it'll do H.264 playback.  A one hour show with no commercials clocks
in at about 130-160M with no noticable artifacts and good quality sound.

> The 4.3" screen is 16:9 and has ample storage options plus you get the

I'll differ with you on the ample storage bit - memory sticks aren't cheap
in large sizes.  That said, mine came with a 1G stick, and it'll hold
about 5-6 one hour shows plus assorted demos and saved games.

Not to sound down on it though, cause I love watching TV on the bus on my
PSP, the battery life is pretty good (it'll play back as much video as I
can fit on the 1G card before needing a recharge)

available to my knowledge.  You could always swap the memory stick in and
out of the PSP for that functionality I guess.

Greg