[mythtv-users] OT: Cautionary tale of marginal 8VSB reception using Air2PC HD5000 and Sony HD TV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jan 26 17:43:04 UTC 2007

On Jan 26, 2007, at 10:17 AM, Larry Jones wrote:

> I have a Sony Bravia KDL-40S20L1 ATSC 8VSB HD capable TV running
> Linux,
> and an ATrpms install of Myth .20 on a P4 3.2 GHz Fedora 6 box
> using an
> air2pc HD5000 pci board(1) for HD reception.  I only live 25 miles
> south
> of the two local HD/Digital TV transmitter sites near Missoula,
> Montana.
> However, I am shadowed by at least one intervening mountain.
> Analog SD
> reception is satisfactory with some "ghosting".   But not digital!

<snipped for brevity>

> I hope this is helpful.
> Larry J

I certainly found it interesting, though certainly not surprising.

Some might consider it Off-Topic but the truth is anyone running a
Myth system is, or at least should be, interested in anything related
to TV reception, hardware issues and the like.

Now we just have to find some way to index this type of information
for easy reference. The WiKi is a great start, as is Gossamer, but I
really think there must be something better. I'm not sure where this
sort of thing would fall into the WiKi system (knowledge base?) and,
although your subject line was good, it doesn't mention antenna
systems or the HD5000 card - you'd have to index the text somehow to
find that info easily.

Ideas ?