[mythtv-users] Mobile Video Player Recommendations (MPEG4)

Dylan Semler dylan.semler at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 20:04:01 UTC 2007

On 1/26/07, Fred Squires <fsquires at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/26/07, Dylan Semler <dylan.semler at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/announce/2007-January/
> > > >

> > > Any mobile phone has to operate on somebody's network, and the
> > > problem with a lot of the fancy units (like the iPhone) is that they
> > > want to lock you in to a particular vendor, usually not the best one
> > > for you.
> >

> > From my understanding, one of the reasons that the OpenMoko is GSM (as
> opposed to CDMA) is that the network providers have much less control over
> the handheld devices.  I feel like as long as it has a valid SIM card from
> any GSM carrier, it should work.
>
> This is true for an unlocked phone.  When you buy a phone in the US through
> a phone company with a plan they lock the phone so that it will only operate
> with their network.  This is done because they subsidize the cost of the
> phone in exchange for the 1 or 2 year agreement.  Sometimes the phone
> companies will unlock the phone at the end of your contract if you ask, or
> you could get one of the stands in the mall to do it.
>

> > In the same sense, shouldn't the iPhone work with T-mobile (or any other
> GSM carrier), if you have a T-mobile SIM card?  I'll admit that I'm on
> Verizon so I'm not too sure about how the SIM cards work.
>
> The iPhone will be locked to Cingular, so no you will not be able to use it
> on T-Mobile, unless you can get someone to unlock it.  Verizon uses CDMA and
> does not use SIM cards.  It is possible to switch a phone between CDMA
> providers (such as Verizon and Sprint) but you need to change the
> information in the phone's memory.

Alright, thanks for that clarification.  So it sounds like this isn't
an issue with the OpenMoko as they'll all be unlocked and you can just
pop in a SIM chip from your favorite (least hated) GSM provider.
Indeed this topic has been hijacked, I apologize for that.  I think
we're done though.

--
Dylan

Type faster.  Use Dvorak: