[mythtv-users] Quiet CPU Cooler Recommendations

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jan 26 21:23:31 UTC 2007

On Jan 26, 2007, at 2:08 PM, Kirk Bocek wrote:
>> Have you thought about installing your machine elsewhere besides the
>> bedroom, and just piping the video/audio/control to the BR TV set ?
>
> Sure, why not!
>
> And how do you do this reasonably -- that is, without holes in the
> walls or
> $1000 of equipment?

Well obviously I don't know the layout of your house. It might be as
simple as putting your machine in a closet on the other side of the
BR wall and just putting one small hole with coax, audio cable and
the IR pickup wire.

Or it might be $1000, as you said. That's why I said "have you
considered?", not "do it".

> Not to be a stick-in-the-mud, but the cable company can provide HD
> without any
> fans. I want to do the same with Myth!

The cable company is ordering perhaps thousands of units that use
custom-designed chips and cases. We are using general-purpose
computers bought in single quantities. There is a huge difference and
what costs them little can be a big expense the way Myth users do it.

Still, you have received some good advice here and I'm sure you can
work it out.