[mythtv-users] Best place to insert a CATV amp

Boleslaw Ciesielski bolek-mythtv at curl.com
Fri Jan 26 21:54:53 UTC 2007

Brian Wood wrote:
> Without a signal level meter you really have no idea what the levels
> of the incoming channels are, and those are expensive items not owned
> by most consumers

A lot of cable modems have some kind of signal level meter built-in. On
my Motorola SB-4200 it is accessible via http://192.168.100.1/signal.htm

It displays power level in dBmV and SNR in dB. On broadbandreports.com
one can find out that cable modems want something like between -15 and
+15 dBmV (ideally -10 to +10). Is there a similar range for TVs? My
understanding is that TVs require stronger signal than cable modems? If
so, one could measure the signal by connecting the cable modem in
various places...

Bolek