[mythtv-users] Quiet CPU Cooler Recommendations

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jan 26 23:19:29 UTC 2007

On Jan 26, 2007, at 4:13 PM, Kirk Bocek wrote:

> Too much effort! Come on, a man can be expected to do only so much! :)
>
> Seriously, though, I had thought of this solution. The problem is
> start-up
> time. I am aware of things like the Linux BIOS project and that
> could help.
> But I still think that startup times will be too long when you just
> want to
> pop on the tube.

OTOH it might make you realize how often you "pop on the tube", and
how much TV you are watching.

How are you getting the OS running on this machine? If it's from a
hard drive most of those make more noise than a fan. Granted you
could boot from some no-moving-part device, or over a network.

I assume you have found some fan-less power supply solution?

The MediaMVP is a great little silent frontend, but of course it
won't do HD unless you scaled it down first.