[mythtv-users] Quiet CPU Cooler Recommendations

Rod Rod at Rods.id.au
Fri Jan 26 22:20:54 UTC 2007

Kirk Bocek wrote:

>I need to build a new front-end only box for the bedroom that needs to be dead
>silent. I can figure out everything but the CPU/Cooler.
>
>Is there a CPU out there that's powerful enough to playback HD where the
>cooler is dead silent? It doesn't need to *record* HD or do transcoding --
>I'll do that elsewhere.
>
>Thanks,
>Kirk Bocek
>thtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users

    Have you considered water cooling of the CPU, then running the tubes
to a cooling tower with a large low speed fan?

    I don't have water cooling yet, but my Thermaltake Toughpower PSU
fans can only be heard once the computer is turned off. The PSU fan
continues to run to cool down the unloaded PSU, good idea, limits the
heat buldup with hot components and no air flow.

    My mobo only has 1 fan, thats for the CPU, the rest is heat piped.

    It may be possible that some manufacturers have mobo's that accept a
mobile CPU which could be running cooler, or have a look at the new
Pentium Duo CPU's and how much cooling they need.

    But I doubt that the fan will make much noise over stereo system
while your watching the shows you have recorded, or are you wasting
power by leaving your computer running  while your trying to sleep? I
have Mythbackend running on another system remotely in another room
along with my firewall and file server, that room has the door closed,
but there is still ventilation, gets dang hot in there, don't decide to
put it in a cupboard, imagine how hot it'd get in there without
ventilation :P

    Maybe, mate,, the simplest answer would be just to turn off your
computer while your not using it, the damage to components by turning on
and off your computer while you sleep would be less than leaving them
only running  noop's (sitting there twiddling its electric thumbs) and
PSU's are not truly powered down like they used to be (unless you use
that little switch on the back or power board)