[mythtv-users] Quiet CPU Cooler Recommendations

Rod Rod at Rods.id.au
Fri Jan 26 22:59:43 UTC 2007

Brian Wood wrote:

>On Jan 26, 2007, at 4:41 PM, Robert Johnston wrote:
>

>>On 1/26/07, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Calin, where did you find the slow moving case fans? That's one
>>>thing I've
>>>never been able to find. Those with one of the fanless CPU coolers
>>>might be
>>>what I'm looking for.
>>>

>>There's 2 (main) methods to get slow-moving case fans.
>>
>>1: Modify the fan connector so that it goes to the red and yellow
>>wires, rather than the yellow and black. This will give it a voltage
>>of +7v, rather than the regular +12v. The fan will still start, but
>>won't spin so fast.
>>2: Place a resistor (Fixed or variable for speed adjustment) inline
>>with the fan. This will allow you to control the speed of the fan.
>>
>>3: Build a PWM circuit. This will enable you to dial the fan all the
>>way down without stalling, but can cause "growling" sounds at low
>>RPMs, and will also mean you can't use RPM monitoring.
>>

>Or just use one of the commercial fan controllers that have thermal
>sensors. That way you can run quietly but be sure the fan will speed
>up if it has to to protect your hardware.

    The mobo's I have and I guess the other later Intel ones (not sure
about AMD, don't use them) all utilise PWM fans, so the fan speed is
only increased when the CPU heats up...  and I run lm_sensors on here,
just to see what the fans do, and if there are any thermal problems
cropping up