[mythtv-users] Need help with xorg.conf for Pioneer 50" Plasma

Dan Cronstein dcronstein at fuse.net
Sat Jan 27 03:05:40 UTC 2007

I have been trying to set up a myth box for about 3 months now. All I get is
constant lockups (and a sore neck from reloading and looking at the plasma,
which hangs fairly high on the wall!)

Anyway...

I do have a Pioneer 61" that I have hooked this box up to. (Also have been
trying Windows Media Center...but would sure like to get Myth working
properly.) Have used HDMI (severe overscan that does not seem controlable),
S-Video (lousy picture), and, most of the time, using the VGA. (I have
ordered a VGA to BNC cable as the second component input on this unit has
BNC connectors and the first component connector is being used by the
DirecTV box.)

The resolution is also 1365 x 768 on this unit. Downloaded "Powerstrip" and
ran it through windows to get a proper modeline. The two that worked the
best are:

PowerStrip timing parameters:
1280x768=1280,80,128,176,768,3,7,20,79312,2050
Generic timing details for 1280x768:
HFP=80 HSW=128 HBP=176 kHz=48 VFP=3 VSW=7 VBP=20 Hz=60
VESA detailed timing:
PClk=79.31 H.Active=1280 H.Blank=384 H.Offset=64 HSW=128 V.Active=768
V.Blank=30 V.Offset=3 VSW=7
Linux modeline parameters:
"1280x768" 79.312 1280 1360 1488 1664 768 771 778 798 -hsync +vsync

PowerStrip timing parameters:
1360x768=1360,64,112,256,768,3,6,18,85478,1
Generic timing details for 1360x768:
HFP=64 HSW=112 HBP=256 kHz=48 VFP=3 VSW=6 VBP=18 Hz=60
VESA detailed timing:
PClk=85478.00 H.Active=1360 H.Blank=432 H.Offset=48 HSW=112 V.Active=768
V.Blank=27 V.Offset=3 VSW=6
Linux modeline parameters:
"1360x768" 85.478 1360 1424 1536 1792 768 771 777 795 +hsync +vsync

There is a problem, not with the modelines (I don't think). In the 1360 x
768 mode, there is a very small stripe on each side of the display. I am
assuming that it is the difference between 1360 and 1365. (I could not get a
proper picture when trying 1368 x 768.) I think that modifying the modeline
may take care of that, but I do not have the "smarts" to do that. The 1280 x
768 seems to work decently, but it is not as clear of a picture.

In the manual that came with the display, it suggests running at 1024 x 768,
but then the picture is "squashed".

Hopefully, this modeline will work for you.

Danno