[mythtv-users] Computer case recoomendations

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sat Jan 27 06:31:16 UTC 2007

Robert Seaton wrote:
> I think I have narrowed my search down to either the Antec fusion, or
> the Silverstone LC16M. The LC16M has more features, and has an
> integrated IR receiver which in my opinion is a major plus. It also has
> buttons for manual operation. I'm just wondering since this case seems
> to be built for MCE, how hard it would be to get all of these extra
> features working on Linux. The Antec fusion has a much better design,
> however I would have to hack it in order to integrate the IR receiver.
> Any opinions here from anyone? Input would be grateful.

I have the Silverstone LC11M. As far as I can see from the Silverstone
site, the LC16M has the same Imon Pad receiver as the LC11M.
The LC11M is well made, nicely sized and quiet. It is made for an ATX
board but a flexible cable PCI extender took care of joining the 2 PCI
tuner cards to a mini-ITX motherboard. (Keep that in mind if you have
some mis-alignment to deal with).
The Imon IR is a standard entry in lirc, and the VFD works under
lcdproc. The Remote is quite nice too, and I have been able to reduce
the remote count to 2 from 5.
Lots of USB ports on the front, firewire and headphone jacks on the side
right at the front, makes it very flexible. The back, of course depends
on what your mb has.
I am exceedingly impressed by this case, despite the higher cost.
My wife dislikes the fact that the blue power and blue hard drive
activity LED's are TOO bright...At the moment there's a post-it note
over the power led and I disconnected (ok, broke) the hard drive
activity led wire...(yes, I should just have disconnected the other end
but I was tracing things: bull + china shop, what do you think happens?)

Geoff

Geoff