[mythtv-users] MySQL log files growing alarmingly

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 09:24:58 UTC 2007

On 27/01/07, Rod Smith <mythtv at rodsbooks.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I set up a MythTV system about a week ago and I've discovered that my MySQL
> log files are growing at an alarming rate. I know next to nothing about
> MySQL, and the log files in question don't look like ordinary log files, so
> I'm reluctant to mess with them without guidance. I'm running Ubuntu 6.10
> with the MythTV 0.20 and MySQL packages that came with it. The log files
> appear in /var/log/mysql and are called mysql-bin.000001 and up (to
> mysql-bin.000047 at the moment). In total, the /var/log/mysql directory is
> now 270MB in size (on a 1GB partition), and I don't see any rules in the
> Ubuntu log file rotation configuration to touch these files, although there
> are rules to handle other (so far much smaller) MySQL log files.
>
> So, any advice on this? (A pointer to a Web page would be fine, provided it
> assumes little or no knowledge of MySQL.) Can these files be rotated by
> logrotate, or is there some better way to handle it?

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/binary-log.html, and in case of
disk space issues,
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/full-disk.html. I'd bookmark
the MySQL documentation for the future.

mysqld is probably being run at startup with the --log-bin=filename
option. If mysqld starts automatically on your system, your mysqld
init script is the culprit and you'll need to adjust its startup
options. I'm not a Ubuntu user, but on Fedora, the init script is held
in /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld and the separate configuration in
/etc/my.cnf.

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki: