[mythtv-users] Audio configuration question

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Sat Jan 27 16:20:12 UTC 2007

On Saturday 27 January 2007 07:35, Justin Luitjens wrote:
> The home theater system is a cheap panasonic DVD/VHS 5.1 speaker combo.
> 5.1 only happens when I play a dvd in that player.  That is why i'm
> thinking it would be best to buy a receiver that can output 5.1 and I
> can just recycle the speakers.

Sorry I missed your first reply, but I don't have anything to add to what Nick
said in his reply to that message.

Given your configuration, yes, if you want 5.1 audio out from your Myth box,
you'll probably need to buy a standalone 5.1 receiver. Try to find one
that'll take analog inputs from your computer's analog outputs, and/or look
for an SPDIF header on your motherboard, as I outlined in my earlier reply.
Chances are your existing surround speakers are pretty low-end, so you
probably won't hear much difference whether you use SPDIF or analog
connections from the Myth box to the receiver. Try to find the specifications
on the speakers to ensure that they're compatible with whatever receiver you
get; if you plan to use them with a new receiver, it'd be unfortunate to
discover after they're hooked up that they don't work right!

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com