[mythtv-users] AACS Cracked Already

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 17:37:54 UTC 2007

> In case anybody missed it, the AACS copy-protection scheme used on
> both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray disks has apparently been cracked already,
> according to the BBC and others.
>
> All those who are surprised please stand up :-)
>
> When will they learn?

If this is about the muslix hack, then AACS hasn't been totally broken
just yet. From what I understand, the Backup program will let you pass
a known key to the player that will pass AACS validation, allowing the
disc to play.

You're not supposed to be able to read the key, but both the HD-DVD
and Blu-Ray cracks were done by getting the Volume Key (different name
on BR, I believe) from a memory dump.

It's not very practial yet, but it does show where the AACS system is
vulnerable. Plus, this cannot be fixed except through wholesale
revocation of software players altogether.

I suspect it won't be too long before AACS itself is either cracked or
bypassed. This technique fools AACS, but doesn't defeat it.

There's all kinds of interesting bits on the forum, though it's quite long now:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=119871