[mythtv-users] AACS Cracked Already

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jan 27 19:10:24 UTC 2007

On Jan 27, 2007, at 11:01 AM, Brad Fuller wrote:

> Although it wasn't technically cracked, this shows a vulnerability to
> the security of the system. In practice, they successfully copied the
> movies. So they didn't crack the code. So what? They achieved their
> goal
> no matter how they went about it.

Ok, so everyone seems to know about this. I was intentionally vague
and I knew that "cracked" was the wrong word, just making sure it
hadn't got past anyone.

This is of interest to us all because they are "at it again" (or
still) trying to control what we can do. Muslix64 himself said his
motivation was that he was annoyed that he could not play a movie he
had paid for on the display of his choice, the same way that watching
a paid-for DVD on a Linux system is technically illegal (at least in
the USA), as is ripping one, which most of us do anyway.

If the Hollywood types would put one tenth of the effort they put
into "protecting" their precious content into actually creating some
content that was worth protecting in the first place they would make
a lot more $$$ IMHO.

OTOH they *are* the copyright owners, and to some extent have a moral
right to do whatever they want, even if it stinks.

It's as much a social issue as it is a technical one I guess, but all
tyrants fall eventually.