[mythtv-users] 5200 or 6200

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 03:28:07 UTC 2007

On 1/27/07, Gary M <garymcm at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/26/07, Steve Hodge <stevehodge at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 1/27/07, Gary M <garymcm at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The fact that the dongle works but not the cable doesn't prove that the
> > cable doesn't carry analog - it could be that the TV only accepts
> digital
> > signals via DVI (this is common).
> >  Steve
>
> The TV definitely only has DVI-D. It was the card that had the
> question mark. The DVI out of the card I am pretty sure is DVI-A only.

I doubt it would be intended to be DVI-A only, though it may be faulty. For
one thing there's a DVI implementation built into the GPU, so there is
nothing to gain by doing DVI-A only. For another, DVI-A is basically useless
- there a few monitors/TVs that take it as an input.
Generally if you want analog you use VGA.

Anyway, I decided to double check that the FX5200 in my Myth box works ok
with DVI (I usually use VGA). It does, but only if I have the "TwinView"
option set to "true" in the Device section of my xorg.conf file (there are
other TwinView related options you might need - look at the nvidia driver
readme). If you've got TwinView set correctly then perhaps the card is
faulty. The FX5200s I use (and I've had three of them) are pretty much
always the cheapest I can find, no-name brands. I'd be stunned if they
output DVI-D but your one doesn't.

Cheers,
Steve