[mythtv-users] Remote control settings for MythTV and Video

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 16:50:42 UTC 2007

On 28/01/07, Dave M G <martin at autotelic.com> wrote:
> MythTV Users,
>
> I can control sound with my remote control (Hauppauge PVR-150) when
> watching television (MythTV).
>
> However, I can't control sound when I watch videos.
>
> I'm fairly certain this is because in my .lircrc file, which controls
> which commands do what from the remote control, is set only to work with
> MythTV.
>
> However, when Mythfrontend plays a video, it launches Mplayer, which
> requires different commands for adjusting sound.
>
> I know it's possible, but I've never been able to quite figure out how
> it works. How can I get the volume up and down buttons on the remote to
> control MythTV when I'm watching TV, but Mplayer when I'm watching a video?

The easiest solution is to use MythTV's Internal player for
MythVideo/MythDVD as this will continue to use the same MythTV remote
configuration. The internal player is based on ffmpeg and can play
most media formats, including DVDs.

If you want to use a separate media player such as mplayer or xine,
you need separate configurations in your lircrc file for each player.
Read the following thread -
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/226994 - and see if
it helps your understanding. The mplayer and xine manpages and config
files contain details on the possible commands that can be used, and
it is these that you need to configure in your lircrc file. The
sequence of configurations is:

i) /etc/lircd.conf maps your remote's IR signals to button names,
which are used by:
ii) ~/.lircrc which maps button names to program commands, which are used by:
iii) programs, which maps the command names into executed commands
within the program.

Note that a third possibility is that you can use irxevent to control
programs within the X environment - this passes keystrokes to
applications that can then be interpreted by the applications
themselves.

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki: