[mythtv-users] nVidia PCI 5200 -> PCIx 6200 TC - Holy Cow!

Harley Peters harley at hpeters.net
Sun Jan 28 17:18:28 UTC 2007

Trey Thompson wrote:
> My MB only has two PCI slots, and wanting to add another tuner, I went
> today and got a PCI Express card with the nVidia 6200 TC chipset on
> it.  Didn't do anything with any drivers.  Plugged into the sVideo
> port with the same cable to my TV and everything.  BOOM!  Much
> brighter picture, fits on the screen much better than the 5200, and
> colors are clearer/crisper.
>
> Didn't expect that.

I have found that the hardware overlay used by default on the 5xxx
series cards produces a very poor quality output.
Putting "RandRRotation" "true" in to the xorg.conf file to disable the
overlay produces a much better output.
I used RandRRotation to disable as there is now way to do it directly.
The 6xxx series cards don't even have a hardware overlay to begin with
so no need to disable it.
I have tried this on two different brands of 5xxx series cards and both
looked much better with the hardware overlay disabled.
Both were using the svideo tv out so results might be different going
thru the vga or dvi connectors.

Harley