[mythtv-users] new user with error...please point me toward the appropriate reading

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 17:58:38 UTC 2007

On 28/01/07, Mike Chandler <michaelachandler at cox.net> wrote:

> > Reading through the offocial MythTV docs is important if you want to
> > use MythTV, as it is not just a single executable and configuration
> > can seem daunting at first. You need to configure your system (capture
> > cards, listings etc) using mythtv-setup, start mythbackend, and then
> > run mythfrontend on the machine you want to watch media on. In terms
> > of the database, which should be setup when MythTV is installed, the
> > defaults for ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt are usually:
> >
> > DBHostName=localhost
> > DBUserName=mythtv
> > DBPassword=mythtv
> > DBName=mythconverg
> >
> > Nick
> Thanks Nick...you're right of course, OK, debian makes it a little too easy to
> install stuff and then not understand it. I have edited what you pointed out,
> but now a question on the
> http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-6.html#ss6.2
> I went there, and it says...
>
> "This step is only required on the system maintaining the database, which may
> or may not be one of your MythTV boxes. If the database is on a non-MythTV
> machine you'll need to copy the database/mc.sql file to it.
> To setup the initial MySQL databases:
>  $ cd database
> (Debian 3.0)
>  $ mysql < mc.sql "
>
> Where is "database" located so I can do this???

Can you login to MySQL as root and check whether the mythconverg
database exists and the mysql user has access to it?

I don't use Debian, so it's "wherever your installation installed
it"... (you could just search for the mc.sql file though). I would
have throught that the initial setting up of the database would have
been carried out for you when you installed MythTV via the distro's
installation scripts - perhaps another Debian user could shed some
light on this (and also whether the mysql user is the correct default
for Debian).

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki: