[mythtv-users] PVR 250 + hd5500: consistent /dev/video# ordering

mythtv-users.mythtv.org at tgice.com mythtv-users.mythtv.org at tgice.com
Sun Jan 28 19:44:21 UTC 2007

I recently installed a hd5500 card in a machine that previously had two
PVR 250s in it, as /dev/video0 & /dev/video1.  I'm running IVTV 0.8.2
and the inbuilt 2.6.18 dvb drivers.

I got the hd5500 to work fine after a bit of messing around but recently
started noticing that what I assume is the 5500's NTSC tuner keeps
coming up and getting a /dev/video0 or /dev/video1 device.  This is
fine, I guess, even though I don't need it.

The problem is that about every other time I reboot the machine (which
is frequent, since I'm using Myth's nice auto shutdown feature), the
order of the /dev/video devices switches, which totally screws up the
backend, and it won't then start.  To get things working, I have to go
into mythtv-setup and switch the /dev/video# device on the PVR 250 to
get it to start.  Clearly, that's not acceptable.

So my question is, what do I need to do to control the loading or
creation of those devices?  Is there an option I can pass to one of the
drivers or to whichever one is creating the 5500 /dev/video to not even
create it (since I currently don't need it)?

I've already tried things like using /dev/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
to force cx88 or ivtv to load first, thinking that would make things
predictable.  Alas, it did not.

I appreciate any tips on this issue.  Thanks.

jl