[mythtv-users] PVR 250 + hd5500: consistent /dev/video# ordering

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Mon Jan 29 00:57:56 UTC 2007

On 28 Jan 2007, at 19:44, mythtv-users.mythtv.org at tgice.com wrote:

> I recently installed a hd5500 card in a machine that previously had
> two
> PVR 250s in it, as /dev/video0 & /dev/video1. ...
> the 5500's NTSC tuner keeps
> coming up and getting a /dev/video0 or /dev/video1 device. ...
>
> The problem is that about every other time I reboot the machine (which
> is frequent, since I'm using Myth's nice auto shutdown feature), the
> order of the /dev/video devices switches, which totally screws up the
> backend, and it won't then start.  To get things working, I have to go
> into mythtv-setup and switch the /dev/video# device on the PVR 250 to
> get it to start.  Clearly, that's not acceptable.
>
> So my question is, what do I need to do to control the loading or
> creation of those devices?

I don't know much about this, but I'm pretty sure what you want are
called "udev rules".

> Is there an option I can pass to one of the
> drivers or to whichever one is creating the 5500 /dev/video to not
> even
> create it (since I currently don't need it)?

I'm not sure about that, but I'm pretty sure you can allocate the to
5500 /dev/video2, which should do the job.

I think you might find these useful:
   http://www.redhat.com/magazine/002dec04/features/udev/
   http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html#example-netif
(and the rest of that page)