[mythtv-users] Quiet CPU Cooler Recommendations

Willy Boyd willyboyd at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 02:22:37 UTC 2007

On 1/26/07, Kevin Hulse <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:

>         Central air is going to be somewhere else in the house and
> the exaust isn't going to be always on. Won't be that noisy even
> when it is. Mom could live in a quiet nieghborhood and not have much
> "outside noise" to deal with.
>
>         My LIVING room is pretty close to silent. Nevermind the bedrooms.

Well, you must have a much better constructed house than I do.  Or I
have ears of a dog... because I can hear when the air or heat cuts on
via the vent in my ceiling.  And I can hear refrigerator cut on.  Same
for the washing machine or dryer when they're running.

I read somewhere, I think Popular Science, that there are only a few
places on Earth that are truly, completely silent, thanks to
civilization around us.  Most people grossly overestimate "silent".
(Or would it be underestimate?)

I want things to just be where I can't hear them.  I know there's a
fan in my game consoles and two in my DVR, but I can't hear them
unless my head is less than 2 feet away.  And that's good enough for
me.  Like another poster said, I find the hard drive in the machine
(when it's churning during a mythfilldatabase or something) FAR louder
than any of the fans I cherry-picked for their low noise level.