[mythtv-users] Myth Documentation, was: Please shut up!

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jan 29 15:49:45 UTC 2007

On Jan 29, 2007, at 8:39 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:

> What we need is a note on the front page, something along the lines of
> "This is a wiki, not an official manual, as such, things tend to get
> dated. As new versions of MythTV and the required linux system and
> drivers advance information on these pages may become outdated. Unless
> otherwise noted, it should be assumed that the information on these
> pages pertains to the current version or has not been updated since it
> became outdated. If you encounter such a page please contact the user
> list."
>
> Then, hopefully, the list will become aware of pages which need
> updating.

I still think just a single line indicating the version(s) the entry
refers to would be helpful. We have something like that in the " date/
time last edited" entry but I'm never sure if that was a total re-
write or just somebody correcting a typo.

Writing good documentation os often harder than writing the code for
a major project, a problem a lot of open source software suffers
from. MythTV is actually better than most in that regard but I'd like
to see if we can make it better.