[mythtv-users] HDHR not available causes backend to crash

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 29 16:16:09 UTC 2007

Gentoo
Kernel 2.6.18
Mythtv 0.20-2156

I'm having a problem where mythtv backend crashes when it attempts to
start and the HDHR doesn't have an IP address yet.  The HDHR gets it's
ip address from the same machine, problem is that the machine doesn't
run 24/7 it only comes one when it needs to record something or when I
turn it on.  If there is a power blip or whatever that causes the HDHR
to loose it's previously assigned address, no dice.
The only thing I've found in the archive about the HDHR and crashing
refers to preview generation.  There is only one NIC in the computer,
found some tidbits about multiple nics causing some issues.  Also from
the HDHR forums the unit can take up to 64 seconds to aquire a new
address after a DHCP server becomes available.  Start up happens quite
quickly, 20 - 30 seconds.

Any suggestions?

Yes I have considered just pausing the startup sequence after the DHCP
server starts for 90 seconds.  :-)