[mythtv-users] Please shut up!

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Jan 29 16:30:23 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 11:13:08AM -0500, Rod Smith wrote:
> On Monday 29 January 2007 09:34, Steven Adeff wrote:
> > As for version'ing the wiki, and a note about this *should* exist on
> > the home page, it is assumed on the wiki that unless the text says
> > otherwise the information pertains to the currently released version.
> > If upon the release of a new version the information becomes outdated
> > it should be changed as soon as it is noticed, with the old
> > information being dated to the previous release (so when 0.21 comes
> > out, the information would say it pertains to 0.20).
>
> That's a very labor-intensive proposition. Do YOU want to go through a flag
> EVERY wiki entry the day a new version of MythTV is released? (Remember
> you'll have to check edit dates, too, just in case somebody's rushed in with
> some brand-new information before you get around to checking an entry.) Short
> of a coordinated effort to do this immediately, it won't get done. IMHO, the
> idea of version-flagging every wiki entry as its made makes far more sense.
> Ideally this would be part of the submission process, but I have no idea if
> the wiki software supports such a thing.

MediaWiki's one real flaw -- for what we're using it for -- is that it
doesn't inherently support versioning for documentation at the level
you need it at.

What would be optimal would be to be able to tag every section -- or
even paragraph -- with a version number, and allow users to select the
newest version they want to see.  The engine could then display all
paragraphs' newest versions which are no newer than $VERSION...

and if you were using 0.19, you'd see everything at that version or
older, but nothing newer.

But it doesn't work that way just now.  That would require parser
support, I'm pretty sure, meaning that it's highly non-trivial,
approaching non-trivial in the extreme.

Cheers,
-- jra