[mythtv-users] HD Woes

Mark Lehrer mark at knm.org
Mon Jan 29 17:05:04 UTC 2007

> AMD Athlon 64 3400+ Venice 2.2GHz Socket 939
> JetWay J939GT3-PTD Socket 939 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX

FWIW, I went with an Asus A8N-VM CSM board (Socket 939, DVI, S/PDIF).

Also, IMO you simply cannot get away with a single core CPU and hi
def.  It may sorta work, but for example, if you have a recording
and a playback and a commflag process going at the same time you are
hosed!  Also, myth and X are both quite busy, so dual core helps a lot.
I have an x2 3800 and it rocks.

> I'm using "1280x720_60" for my xorg.conf mode. 720p will play in Myth at
> about 50% cpu with XvMC on and up to 60% with libmpeg2.  As a

I tried xvmc but never could get it to work properly.  Perhaps just
use "bob" deinterlacing and XV.

> Can anyone with a similar setup send me detailed info about their
> configuration?  At this point, I am doubtful that throwing more
> money at it in the form of a faster processor would even help
> much. I think I have something configured wrong, but cannot put my
> finger on it.

I wasted a LOT of free time in the year before I got an x2 3800.
Dual core solved a lot of problems for me, I highly recommend it.

Mark