[mythtv-users] HD Woes

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 19:34:07 UTC 2007

On 1/29/07, John Goerzen <jgoerzen at complete.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 12:32:05PM -0600, Joel Turner wrote:
> > 1)  Find the proper modeline for your LCD or plasma.  It makes a huge
> > difference in playback and CPU usage
>
> Can you elaborate a bit on that?  I don't understand why there would be
> a huge difference, unless perhaps you lowered your resolution.
>
> Why would this be an issue for LCD or plasma but not CRT?

The only part of a modeline that will affect CPU usage is the
frequency, other than that CPU is only affected by the contend being
decoded, scaling is done by the video card.

Proper modeline for an LCD or plasma with a non standard resolution
(as many of them use) will only affect how your tv scales the input.
Again though, you can use the modepool "1368x768_60" as a starting
point, or read the EDID modeline using nvidia-settings in the 9xxx
series drivers.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!