[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend and 480i modes

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 29 19:53:40 UTC 2007

As reported earlier, I've successfully set up HDTV on my myth system.
One of the issues I faced was not being able to select de-interlacing
per video mode. So I decided to create modes per resolution.  I am able
to select a 1080i mode to view 1080i content,etc.  I'm having a problem
playing back 480i.  Thought I have a  good mode line mythtv/X11
interprets the mode as 720 x 240  (480/2 for interlaced I guess) so myth
scales the video horizontally to match the vertical resolution. So I
have a tall narrow picture on the screen.  I'm not convinced it's an
actual mythtv problem though.  I'm thinking it might be a X11 and/or
nvidia driver issue.  Looking in the X logs using the '-logverbose 6'
switch I see where the driver seems to be setting a 480i mode, but X
reports it as 720x240.

The TV indicates it's displaying 480i mode and the raster seems to be
the size I expect it to be.

Has anyone seen a similar issue?  Any workarounds?