[mythtv-users] Please shut up!

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Mon Jan 29 20:02:46 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 11:50:26AM -0800, devsk wrote:

> I think fundamental reason for so much traffic is that there is no
> official good forum based central place for people to go to get some
> help. I can see if there was an official forum on mythtv.org, it would
> result in lot of network bandwidth saved for so many people.

> advantage of having a forum is that not everybody gets an email in
> their box, you can subscribe to threads of your choice and keep them
> around in your box, you can search the abundance of information easily
> in one place, there can be more posts than you can send emails to the

I completely disagree.  Forums are a huge pain:

* You can't read them offline

* You have to manage account/password for each one

* They tend to be slow

What is so bad about this list?  The bandwidth used by sending text-only
messages -- only *once* to each subscriber -- is, I'm sure, completely
dwarfed by the bandwidth of hundreds or thousands of people loading and
reloading graphics-laden web pages, transmitting the same messages over
and over.

> http://www.mythtvtalk.com , but not official. Maybe a link to
> mythtvtalk.com is what needs to be put along with the mailing list
> info on the front page of mythtv. Or may be, we should have a forum at
> mythtv.org.

So then you create two communities -- one that uses email, one that uses
web forums.  I don't think that's better for anyone.

I can't recall ever seeing a web forum that's more useful than a mailing
list or newsgroup yet.