[mythtv-users] Turtle Beach Riviera /CMedia CMI8738 and optical SPDIF

Big Wave Dave bigwavedave at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 20:46:42 UTC 2007

On 1/29/07, Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> wrote:
> Clay wrote:
> > Has anyone been able to get a Turtle Beach Riviera working on their system
> > so that a 5.1 stream will go out of the optical connection?  (I have read
> > here and there that Cmedia has advertised that it works, but it really
> > doesn't)
> > I can get 2 channels go do through, but no 5.1.  I am grinding through the
> > email thread on this list about ac3 passthrough but no luck yet.  The
> > following gives me 2 channels out of myth:
> >
> Sure.  This is my recommended card for optical out.  No funny .asoundrc
> needed.  Just set Myth for AC3 passthrough, turn on the IEC598 in the
> alsa-mixer and set your output device to alsa:default in Myth
>
> Kevin
Agreed... working for me too.  I bought it because of all the
recommendations on the mailing-list.  My stereo receiver switches
between Dolby Digital, DTS, and Analog all on its own... picking up
the appropriate signal from the optical.  Its quite nice.
Make sure to look at the wiki page:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Asoundrc_CMI8738-MC6

Dave