[mythtv-users] Gentoo 64bit and MythTV completely compatible?

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Mon Jan 29 21:11:49 UTC 2007

On Monday 29 January 2007 15:24, David Brodbeck wrote:

> I think what he's getting at is that no one supplies binary drivers for
> Gentoo, for obvious reasons.  If you want good video performance with
> Gentoo you're probably going to have to pick a card that has a driver
> with source code available, and that's not anything made by Nvidia.

You can use nVidia's binary drivers on a Gentoo system, and fairly easily,
too -- just emerge the nvidia-drivers package. (I'm typing this message from
a Gentoo system that uses the nVidia drivers, although I'm using Ubuntu on my
Myth box.) That said, I don't believe nVidia OFFICIALLY SUPPORTS their
drivers on Gentoo, but that's another matter entirely. Quite honestly, if you
want official support, MythTV isn't the way to go -- it's far too
bleeding-edge if you're the sort of person who'll be scared off by lack of
official support. (This isn't meant as a criticism of MythTV or in a
demeaning way towards people who want official support; it's just a question
of different people having different needs and MythTV being in a pretty early
state of development, which is fine for some people but not a good fit for
others.)

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com