[mythtv-users] Remote control settings for MythTV and Video

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 21:38:48 UTC 2007

On 29/01/07, Dave M G <martin at autotelic.com> wrote:
> Nick,
>
> Thank you for responding.
> > The easiest solution is to use MythTV's Internal player for
> > MythVideo
> This solution is kind of okay, although I would still like to know how
> to make my remote capable of handling different programs by switching
> modes. This is both useful now and has future potential.

Perhaps this link will help then, if the previous one did not:

Read the LIRC docs (this is not a MythTV-specific question) - they
explain how to configure LIRC enabled programs such as mplayer and
xine to work with a remote - the most important piece of information
is to determine what commands you can configure in your lircrc file -
the link above details how to determine these for xine and mplayer.

> But in any case, how do I get my videos to play with MythVideo? I have
> MythVideo installed, but whenever I try to run "mythvideo" from the
> command line or within Mythfrontend, I get no response.

MythVideo is a plugin for navigating your non-TV recordings. You need
to configure it (in frontend setup) to use a media player to actually
play back your media files. This can be the internal media player
(which I use), or a separate program like xine or mplayer. As you have
found out, you do not run MythVideo itself, but navigate to a media
file in the mythvideo browser, select it, and then mythvideo then
fires up the associated media player and plays the selected file.

> Naturally I tried looking up on the web, but most resources I saw seemed
> to assume that one already had mythvideo running, and that simply how to
> start it was too basic to mention.

Probably because you do not start it at all :) - the plugin handles
the "Watch videos" option from the menu and allows you to navigate
your media files, and then the configured helper applications handle
the actual playback of the media files.

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki: