[mythtv-users] X11, Intel i810 & NVidia FX5200, help me get my MythTV back

Matthias Thyroff lists at thyroff.net
Tue Jan 30 09:35:21 UTC 2007

Tom Corcoran schrieb:
> The history, I installed FC5 on a Celeron P4 (2.4) with a mobo with
> integrated Intel video (i810) and all was sweet.  I installed mythtv and
> got all the modules working and i was almost finished, I just needed to
> add a PCI Nvidia 5200 to get TVOut functioning and I was done, and thats
> when the trouble started.
>
> I made a copy of my Xorg config, I plugged in the 5200 and rebooted, I
> then installed the NVidia driver
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-9746.html rebooted
> my PC and now it just boots into a FC5 blank blue screen with a mouse
> pointer.  None of the other console screens are available and #1 shows
> some of the boot history but nothing relevant.  BTW this output is on
> the i810, the Nvidia has no output.
>
> I then rebooted to runlevel 3 and copied back my original xorg config
> thinking this would resolve my woes but it made no difference, the
> system still goes through a full boot sequence starting all the services
> in the GUI boot screen and then when it satys something like 'Starting
> Avahi.....' it jumps to a blank screen and appears to freeze.  I seem to
> have full network access to the box and am able to SSH to the box no
> problem.
>
> I am now at a loss as to how I can backout these changes and get back to
> a working system?  How can i remove any installed nvidia drivers? I
> tried 'yum remove nvidia*' and this seemed to removed some packages but
> I am not sure they all were removed.
>
> I previously had this Nvidia 5200 card working on this machine under FC4
> but then my hard disk upped and died (RIP)
>
> ANy help would be gratefully appreciated.
>
> TIA TomC

Hello Tom,

my frontend is a similar setup; I have a i810 agp on the motherboard,
and I had to put a 5200 in a PCI slot. My bios allows to deactivate the
onboard controller, but linux doesn't boot then, it crashes. There is no
option to use the PCI card as primary, so my system starts with all the
text consoles on the onboard vga connector; I normally don't see this
because my tv is connected to the 5200's vga connector. I get an image
when X starts and all works well. If I press ctrl-alt-F1 in X, I
(theoretically) have to reconnect vga to i810 to use the console.

The installer of the nvidia driver configured this correctly for me. I'd
recommend you start without xorg.conf file (rename the one you have),
and execute nvidia-xconfig to create a new x configuration, just to make
sure there is no i810 driver in your way. Then start X and look in the
log file what happens, you could also post the interesting parts of the
log here.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers

    Matthias