[mythtv-users] Time issues with recordings

junk junk at giantblob.com
Tue Jan 30 09:42:48 UTC 2007

Paul Lewis wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 22:10:24 +0000
> "Nick Morrott" <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote;
>

>>> As I only have two tuners in the system, often if I programme
>>> the system to end the recording late, it tends to clash with another
>>> schedule.
>>>

>> Are your recordings starting to record early (e.g. 20:58 instead of
>> 21:00) or are the stations starting programs late (21:02 instead of a
>> published 21:00 start)?
>>

> I think the system starts to record early, there are several
> commercials prior to the selected program on ITV, nor is it restricted
> to independent TV, often on the BBC you get the end of the previous BBC
> program too.
>

>> I know from experience that in the UK, UKTV Food seems to start
>> programs on the :29 and :59 minutes of the hour, so for any recordings
>> on that channel I set specific start early/finish late timings.
>>

> I think it is more than a minute, more like two or three
>
> Regards

I often get a few minutes of stuff recorded before BBC programs start.
I'm pretty sure that MythTV is starting to record at the right time
because I've watched it start, I have my system time set from NTP,
recordings are typically just under expected program length (eg 29
minutes 55 seconds) and the end of the recording happens either in the
credits or in the following ad/continuity break. I think that there is
just a surprising amount of rubbish between programs on UK terrestrial
TV, including on the BBC.

-- jeek