[mythtv-users] MythTV and the NVidia 8800

paul smoke subconsciousrx at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 30 14:56:32 UTC 2007

On 1/29/07, Ryan Patterson <ryan.goat[at]gmail> wrote:

>Could you actually tell us what doesn't work. Does x.org work? Does
>mythfrontend work at all? Does watch TV cause this black screen?

x.org works.  mplayer works.  the menu on myth works.  The preview window on
myth works.   Playing back a video in Myth is very much broken.   A black
Screen is the only thing that is seen with xv.  If xv is turned off then
Myth can play back a video.   Albeit very slowly.  And the aspect ratio is
messed up.

On http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=83818  AaronP NVIDIA
Corporation wrote:

>If the same video works in Mplayer and not in MythTV, then that sounds like
>a MythTV bug.

Again I have no idea if it is Myth or the driver causing this bug.   But it
does EXIST.   I can only hope that one side will blink and fix the problem.

Until then do not purchase a 8800 thinking that it will be useful in a dual
boot box for Myth.  For the past month mine has been gathering dust.