[mythtv-users] Nvidia FX5200 with Westinghouse LVM-47w1

Bill Bill at explosivo.com
Tue Jan 30 16:45:50 UTC 2007

Thanks for the thoughts!  I commented below

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 07:34:08 -0800
Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:

> On Jan 30, 2007, at 7:02 AM, Bill wrote:
>
> > Prob #1)  I connected my FX5200 from my DVI to the DVI-2 connector
> > on the TV.  Everything looks perfect!  The desktop gives me no
> > issues, playback in myth gives me no issues, mplayer direct on the
> > screen is fine.  However, if I move through the menus in MythTV
> > quickly, it begins to get funky.  Basically it seems like the TV
> > goes and resets itself.  Then comes back.  There is a slight pop
> > from the speakers.  Once it starts happening, it happens each time
> > I move the selector in the menus.  If I go to a playback it does
> > not happen, or if I go back to the desktop its fine.  Only in the
> > myth menuing. (Which looks perfect by the way).  I tried turning
> > off OpenGL rendering and the same problem.
> >
> > Last night I had a dream.  I dreamt that during my unpackaging of
> > the LVM-47w1 I saw an paper insert that showed the two DVI ports on
> > the back of the tv.  In my dream one was indicated as being 1080i
> > and the other 1080p.  I call this a dream since I cannot for the
> > life of me find it.  Also, the manual shows both being 1080p.  But
> > the manual is for two models.
>
> Assuming the 47 is the same as my 42,  DVI-1 is a dual-link DVI port
> supporting 1080p and DVI-2 is a single-link DVI port supporting
> 1080i. I upgraded to a dual-link nvidia 6600 card and changed my DVI
> cable and they went away. From what I understand I might have only
> needed to change the cable.
>
> > Regardless, I swapped it over to DVI-1 and have not been able to
> > replicate the problem. But I did not have a chance to put it back
> > on DVI-2 (had to go to work).  Also, there may have been recording
> > going on last night, but not this morning.
>
> You've probably got a single-link DVI cable.

So maybe my dream was not just a dream....  If it keeps working fine, I will guess the output as 1080p on DVI-1 was the
solution.

> > The log files are empty of any indication of a problem.
> >

> > Prob #2)  I am just throwing this in, since it is bothering me.  My
> > fading menus have gone away at some point last night.  It happened
> > sometime after I added in my FX5200 card and before I gave up for
> > the night.  Part of that was moving from the xorg "nv" driver to
> > the actual "nvidia" drivers.  In my STFW, I came across a
> > transparency tip.
>
> To get the fades, you need to make sure the frontend is using OpenGL
> rendering (In the Appearance section of Setup) and make sure OpenGL
> is working on your card. This probably means using the nvidia driver
> as opposed to the nv driver but I'm not 100% sure of this. I just
> know that nv has never given me OpenGL.

Definately got the nvidia driver running, and I think OpenGL is running...  I've got load "glx", the log file shows:

(II) LoadModule: "glx"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libglx.so
(II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
        Module class: X.Org Server Extension
        ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.1
(II) Loading extension GLX

Then later

(II) Loading extension NV-GLX
(II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA 3D Acceleration Architecture Initialized
(II) NVIDIA(0): Using the NVIDIA 2D acceleration architecture
(==) NVIDIA(0): Backing store disabled
(==) NVIDIA(0): Silken mouse enabled
(**) Option "dpms"
(**) NVIDIA(0): DPMS enabled
(II) Loading extension NV-CONTROL
(==) RandR enabled
(II) Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
(II) Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
(II) Initializing built-in extension XTEST
(II) Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
(II) Initializing built-in extension XC-APPGROUP
(II) Initializing built-in extension SECURITY
(II) Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
(II) Initializing built-in extension XFIXES
(II) Initializing built-in extension XFree86-Bigfont
(II) Initializing built-in extension RENDER
(II) Initializing built-in extension RANDR
(II) Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE
(II) Initializing built-in extension DAMAGE
(II) Initializing built-in extension XEVIE
(II) Initializing extension GLX

And no errors... when I was getting GL running before I had lots of errors.

Also GLXGEARS runs fine - not sure if that is a positive indicator of a good OpenGL install?

> > Section "Monitor"
> >     Identifier     "Westinghouse"
> >     VendorName "Westinghouse"
> >     ModelName "LCD Panel 1920x1080"
> >     HorizSync 31.5 - 90.0
> >     VertRefresh 60.0 - 60.0
> >     ModeLine "1920x1080p" 148.5 1920 2024 2072 2200 1080 1084 1094
> > 1124 -hsync -vsync
> >     Option "ModeValidation" "NoMaxPClkCheck, NoEdidMaxPClkCheck"
> >     Option "dpms"
> > EndSection
>
> Once you get your hardware sorted out, you probably won't need a
> modeline. I don't have one and my display looks perfect. (One of the
> joys of getting a "display" as opposed to a HD-TV - no overscan).

I had tried it without the modeline, and had problems - but that was on the other DVI(2) and could have been with different other settings that were causing problems.

Ah well...

Thanks for the tips and pointers!