[mythtv-users] Questions on mythTV, DVB-C hardware, Dolby Digital 5.1 in Germany

Ansgar H. Licher ansgar at team-licher.de
Tue Jan 30 17:09:09 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I feel the more confused, the more I read the mythTV documentation. I have got
several unanswered questions.

I am a well experienced Linux user and want to setup mythTV on my PC.
Nevertheless I am a completly Newbie to mythTV and DVB.

My situation and goals:

1) the server has Ubuntu Dapper (6.06 LTS)

2) the client near the TV shall become a hopefully fanless barebone PC (I will
try to fit it into a HiFi box). It will run with Ubuntu (or Debian) too.

3) I need a DVB-C card with CI + CAM (because the TV provider "Kabel
Deutschland" (or short "KDG") uses Nagravision encryption).

4) I want DolbyDigital 5.1 sound output to my AV receiver (for that films,
which are brought to me in DD 5.1)

My questions:

1) The DBV-C card could be a "Hauppauge WinTV PVR-350", I think. It seems to
work with mythTV. Is that correct?

2) What I cannot clear is, if this card has a slot (the "CI") for the
CAM-module for my KDG smartcard.
Can anybody help and give me some information on this? What CAM do I exactly
need to handle the Nagravision encryption of KDG? The smartcard from KDG
shows a sign "K-09" which shall tell something about the kind of encryption,
but I am also unfamiliar with this.

3) Can the WinTV PVR-350 handle DD 5.1? Or is DD 5.1 usually handled by any
DVB card?
I took a look to the archive of this mailing list a couple of days ago. There
I found  something, that the Haupauge WinTV PVR-350 would be unable to
perform Dolby Digital 5.1. Please help: how do I get DD 5.1???

4) What do I exactly need to bring DD 5.1 digital audio signals from the
mythTV client to my AV receiver?
Right now, I have got a settop box from KDG. On the audio site, it is
connected via a chinch-adapter to my AV receiver and this works perfect for
DD 5.1. But please help: what kind of sound card do I need in my client
system???

5) has anybody an idea, where to buy a fanless PC system in HiFi-design in
Germany?

Thanks to anybody who helps in advance!!

Greetings,

Ansgar

--
What is the difference between Scientology and Microsoft?
One is an evil cult bent on world domination