[mythtv-users] Diskless

Dave Ansell dave at theansells.com
Tue Jan 30 18:14:37 UTC 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rich West" <Rich.West at wesmo.com>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 5:50 PM
Subject: [mythtv-users] Diskless

I came across the diskless how-to on the Wiki and, while I have the
entire infrastructure in place (I build both windows and Linux boxes via
PXE booting), I immediately thought "hey, that would definitely be QUIET".

However, the question that goes unanswered in the wiki is about
performance.  Since the entire system is loading and running off of the
network (I've got cat-5 wired) *and* mythtv is also going over that same
network, doesn't that beat up on the performance?  Especially since swap
would also be on an NFS mounted volume...

I'd be interested to hear about people's experiences with MythTV and a
diskless frontend to see if it would be a viable configuration or if it
is just a pipe dream..

Thanks!
-Rich

Hi Rich,

     Definitely doable.   I had a completely fanless, diskless front end for
a while.

     However, I found:

(a)  performance even on 100 wired was less that a with a disk fitted
(b)  it was harder to set up
(c)  it was less reliable, a few lost packets and you might be dead!

    Eventually I reverted to hdd fitted.   However to keep it silent I
fitted a 3.5 inch samsung laptop drive, soft mounted on a rubber band
arangement.    It is virtually inaudible - the 3.5 inch drives are much
quiter than 5.25 and performance is near enough the same.    Just a cheap
adapter needed to make the connection.

    I dont think I would go back to diskless now.

cheers,
Dave