[mythtv-users] Configuring MythTV frontend/connection to backend database

Bill Bill at explosivo.com
Tue Jan 30 19:54:55 UTC 2007

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 11:47:45 -0800
Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:

> On Jan 30, 2007, at 11:43 AM, David Lynam wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Ive installing mythTV recently on a single backend/frontend
> > machine. I am now setting up a second seperate frontend in which I
> > want to connect to the existing backend/frontend database. I have
> > installed myth frontend and now in the middle of the small
> > configuration. I have tried to connect to the database but it still
> > says I cant connect to database. The user name and password are
> > correct as well as IP address?? Is there something Im missing??
> > Any ideas guys :)
> > David
>
> MySQL generally turns off remote access by default. Make sure you
> don't see anything that excludes networking in your my.cnf file. Then
> you also have to specify from which hosts users are able to connect.
> Modify your user table to make sure the host you're connecting from
> is associated with the user you're connecting as. If this doesn't
> make sense, google for remote MySQL Connection and you'll see a bunch
> of stuff along with SQL commands to issue to allow it.

The big gotcha in the my.cnf for MySQL Brad is talking about is this line:
bind-address          = 127.0.0.1

Comment it out
#bind-address          = 127.0.0.1

There may be others, but that is the one that is most likely the culprit.  Don't forget you need to restart mysql for this to take effect.

Then you have the connection issue that he mentioned googling on.  Thats a bit tricker... googles your friend.