[mythtv-users] MySQL log files growing alarmingly

Steve Daniels steve.p.daniels at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 30 22:00:41 UTC 2007

Rod Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I set up a MythTV system about a week ago and I've discovered that my MySQL
> log files are growing at an alarming rate. I know next to nothing about
> MySQL, and the log files in question don't look like ordinary log files, so
> I'm reluctant to mess with them without guidance. I'm running Ubuntu 6.10
> with the MythTV 0.20 and MySQL packages that came with it. The log files
> appear in /var/log/mysql and are called mysql-bin.000001 and up (to
> mysql-bin.000047 at the moment). In total, the /var/log/mysql directory is
> now 270MB in size (on a 1GB partition), and I don't see any rules in the
> Ubuntu log file rotation configuration to touch these files, although there
> are rules to handle other (so far much smaller) MySQL log files.
>
> So, any advice on this? (A pointer to a Web page would be fine, provided it
> assumes little or no knowledge of MySQL.) Can these files be rotated by
> logrotate, or is there some better way to handle it?
>
> Thanks for any pointers.
Hi Rod,

I typed "mysql bin logs" into google sans quotes:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mysql+bin+logs&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

Then clicked the top link:
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Databases/Mysql/Q_21195108.html

Then scrolled down a bit, after a bit of reading, all will be revealed.

HTH

Steve Daniels