[mythtv-users] opengl fades within Themes

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Wed Jan 31 02:22:50 UTC 2007

On 30 Jan 2007, at 18:01, Rich West wrote:
> This brings up a question I had when I enabled opengl.  With opengl
> fades, I noticed that it was impossible to navigate the menus when
> connected via VNC.  While the menus would update on the connected
> display, they would not update on the VNC display.  Is that
> functionality sacrificed when you enable opengl fading, or is it
> possible I have some configuration out of wack?

I think this is expected behaviour.

 From <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GLX>:

    GLX consists of three parts:
    - An API that provides OpenGL functions to an X Window System
    application.
    - An extension of the X protocol, which allows the client (the
    OpenGL application) to send 3D rendering commands to the X server
    (the software responsible for the display). The client and server
    software may run on different computers.
    - An extension of the X server that receives the rendering commands
    from the client and either passes them on to a hardware-accelerated
    3D graphics card or renders them in software, usually using the
    Mesa library (which is much slower).

Assuming that 3rd component is running I think the video hardware on
the FE will be updating the menus, rendering then unavailable to the
VNC server.

Stroller.