[mythtv-users] Turtle Beach Riviera /CMedia CMI8738 and optical SPDIF

Josh TwoOneSix at thatclothingco.com
Wed Jan 31 02:39:16 UTC 2007

Josh wrote:
> Peter wrote:
>
>> Has anyone done this with FC6? I've got problems similar to Clay's, but
>> haven't gotten the digital portion to work just yet.
>>
>> Kevin Kuphal wrote:

>>> I've run it on both RH9 and FC4.  On the FC4 system I'm at Alsa 1.09rf.
>>> It kinda just worked.  Works with both Myth recorded HD content, ripped
>>> DVDs with AC3 tracks, and MythDVD with retail DVDs.
>>>
>>> Kevin

> Yes and No. I had it working in a flash on FC6. I went to Fry's, bought
> the card, came home snapped it in one of my front end machines and ran
> alsamixer, unmuted the IC Out line and it was sending digital signals to
> my receiver for everything... it was working great. Then, I was trying
> to get my MCE remote to work and somewhere in that process (not related
> directly to the LIRC configuration, I'm certain) it stopped working.
> Then the card vanished and I ran into ALL sorts of issues. Since it's
> only a frontend box, I just gave up and blew it away about 45 minutes
> ago. I'm almost done setting it back up... I'll try to post back if I
> ever figure out WTF the problems is/was.

I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of over the past 2 days and nothing
is working to get the S/PDIF to either work, or if it does work it
doesn't do what I expect it to do. It never fails... the moment I UNMUTE
the S/PDIF channel everything goes dark. When I leave it MUTED I can
listen to music, but that's all. I think I'm going to take the card back
tomorrow and get another one. As of this posting, I wouldn't recommend
the Turtle Beach Riviera card to anyone wanting to run FC6... The
quality that came from this card for the first 30 minutes or so that it
DID work was fantastic so once these issues are resolved in FC6 I'll be
using the card again, but for now... on to the next piece of hardware.

--
Josh