[mythtv-users] HVR-950 and v4l-dvb-kernel issues

Brent brent at brentnorris.net
Wed Jan 31 02:47:36 UTC 2007

Adam Propeck wrote:
> On 12/13/06, *Adam Propeck* <adam at propeck.com
> <mailto:adam at propeck.com>> wrote:
>

>     Bit-o-background:
>
>     Running Myth (SVN) successfully for quite some time. Have two
>     PVR-150's up and running with myth and love it.
>
>     I'd like to add this new HVR-950 that I recently purchased. I've
>     followed instructions for installing v4l-dvb-kernel and gotten
>     linux to recognize this card. However... I had to "yum remove
>     ivtv*" and "yum remove video4linux*" in order to get linux to see
>     the card. Doing that, resulted in the PVR-150's failing to tune to
>     new channels at all and they were stuck on the same last channel
>     they had been on. (Very frustrating when the Simpsons is starting
>     in five minutes and you just realize this is the case...
>
>     I'm running FC5 and 2.6.18 kernel, so I've gone back to the yum
>     ivtv and v4l packages and performed a make rminstall on the
>     v4l-dvb-kernel packages.
>
>     Does anyone know a way for me to get this device working without
>     killing my pvr-150's tuning capabilities? Thanks in advance!
>

> ---------
> I think that there must be issues with the tveeprom stuff causing
> issues as was suggested. Or something similar perhaps. I've updated
> software on the box I'm using and still am having some issues. If I
> can get the HVR to pull up and still have the 150's tuning away, I'll
> be pretty happy, so any help is appreciated! -Adam
>

> I can still load the two PVR-150's fine(one is MCE and the other
> isn't), but when I try to modprobe em2880-dvb, I get this in dmesg:
>
> em2880_dvb: Unknown symbol em28xx_i2c_call_clients
> em2880_dvb: Unknown symbol em28xx_unregister_extension
> em2880_dvb: Unknown symbol em28xx_register_extension
>
> Checking rpm for installed ivtv packages:
>
> # rpm -qa |grep ivtv
> ivtv-0.8.2-123.fc5.at <http://ivtv-0.8.2-123.fc5.at/>
> ivtv-kmdl-2.6.18-1.2257.fc5-0.8.2-123.fc5.at
> <http://ivtv-kmdl-2.6.18-1.2257.fc5-0.8.2-123.fc5.at/>
> perl-Video-ivtv-0.13-8.fc5.at <http://perl-video-ivtv-0.13-8.fc5.at/>
> ivtv-kmdl-2.6.18-1.2239.fc5-0.8.2-123.fc5.at
> <http://ivtv-kmdl-2.6.18-1.2239.fc5-0.8.2-123.fc5.at/>
> ivtv-firmware-1.8a-10.at <http://ivtv-firmware-1.8a-10.at/>
>
> And for v4l:
>
> # rpm -qa |grep video4l
> video4linux-kmdl-2.6.18-1.2239.fc5-20061107-77.fc5.at
> <http://video4linux-kmdl-2.6.18-1.2239.fc5-20061107-77.fc5.at/>
> video4linux-kmdl-2.6.18-1.2257.fc5-20061107-77.fc5.at
> <http://video4linux-kmdl-2.6.18-1.2257.fc5-20061107-77.fc5.at/>
> video4linux-20061107-77.fc5.at <http://video4linux-20061107-77.fc5.at/>

This is all from memory, but I think what I had to do was:

Unload the ivtv modules and unload the video4linux modules.
make install the dvb stuff and it should overwrite the video4linux module
then modprobe ivtv back into the kernel and it will pull the new v4l module
then modprobe the em28xx_dvb

I think that is how it worked for me. I believe the problem is that the
v4l module you are running doesn't have any context for the dvb modules
and thus won't let them load. Personally I got two bucks for Axel if he
would start kmdl'ing the em28xx_dvb modules too.

Ok ok. three bucks. :-)

Brent