[mythtv-users] Mythtv && PLC

Nicolas Mainil nicolas.mainil at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 09:52:16 UTC 2007

> On Jan 30, 2007, at 1:35 PM, Cristo Bolaņos wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > has anyone tried frontend over PLC ? It's about 10 Mbit bandwith,
> > is enough ?
> >

> 10 Mbit would be enough for an SD signal, if you could actually
> achieve it.
>
> But from what I've read the PLC units do not come anywhere close to
> the "claimed" speed. I'd make sure I could return the unit(s) if you
> decide to try them out.

AFAIK there are two PLC standards: 14 Mbps (theoretical) and 85 Mbps
(theoretical). I own a 85 Mbps and it works fine with SD mpeg2
(720x576 PAL). I don't think you'll have success with the 14 Mbps
cause the practical speed is much lower than the theoretical speed. It
may of course vary with the quality of your electrical network and the
distance between the adapters but as far as I remember I get
approximately the quarter of the theoretical bandwith.