[mythtv-users] placing the DVD player far, far away

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 21:07:59 UTC 2007

On 31/01/07, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
> I have a firewire/USB dvd player that plugs into my mythbox.  I'd like
> to put it close to the sofa, on the other side of the room from the TV;
> say about 20' of wiring alltogether.  This is too far for USB....
>
> The mythbox sits in a closet behind the TV.

If you have a power socket close by, just get a USB hub and another
USB cable, and daisy-chain the devices - this setup should be good for
up to 30m with 5m cables and powered hubs [1].

> Anyone know of a solution that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Getting off the sofa every time you need to change a disc costs an arm
and a (or two) leg, but this is refunded when you get back to the
sofa.

[1] http://www.usb.org/about/faq/ans5

Nick
--