[mythtv-users] Mode Lines

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 21:18:51 UTC 2007

On 01/07/07, Alex Halovanic <halovanic at gmail.com> wrote:
> Isn't this just a standard definition set, so you'd be using composite
> or s-video out and no modelines?

Can you expand on this?

Although with S-Video there perhaps isn't a 'wrong' modeline, and it
seems possible to me that the modeline doesn't affect the Video
output, it definitely makes a difference to the menu screens and X
desktop.

For example I have a 16:9 CRT television which I'm driving via
S-Video.  I've tried both 640x480 and 800x600 modelines, which are
easily available from the xorg mode pool, and they look fine  However,
these have the disadvantage that they don't give me 100x100dpi
resolution (because the pixels aren't square) so sometimes menu fonts
don't size right, and I can't use a widescreen theme, which I'm
assuming might make better use of the widescreen format.

I attempted to select a 1024x576 modeline, which would give a square
resolution, but didn't succeed.  I've done a bit of reading and am
more confident for my next attempt, when I get the time, but I would
be interested to know quite how modelines affect S-Video output.