[mythtv-users] Can't Get pcHDTV-5500 To Work With MythTV

Donald J. Maddox dmaddox099 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 2 23:21:19 UTC 2007

Bob Sully wrote:
>> The fact that it works fine with mplayer and tvtime suggests that it is
>> not a driver problem.  The card WORKS - both digital and analog parts.
>> It just doesn't work with MythTV for some reason.
>>
>> I installed from the Fedora Core 6 RPMs, I did select DVB DTV Capture
>> card (v3.x) in the configuration
>>

> Just got back from three days out of town with no Internet access, so
> didn't get a chance to reply sooner.
>
> If both sides of the card work on mplayer and tvtime, it's not a driver
> problem.
>
> I have two 5500s in my combined BE/FE system running Mandriva 2007 x86-64.
>  Both sides of both cards work fine (though I admit that the analog
> picture quality isn't as good as I'd like).  A previous poster is correct
> - you set it up as a DVB card and then set up the analog portion under
> "analog settings" in Mythtv-setup.
>
> Now, what took me the longest time to figure out is that you need to set
> up two different sets of channels, one for each side (and being in the US,
> I had to set up two Zap2It accounts to grab their respective data).  Once
> I had that set up, I was good to go.
>
> If need be (I'm not on that machine at the moment), I'd be happy to list
> my "analog settings" if anyone wishes.
>
> Bob

What kernel version and MythTV versions are you running, just out of
curiousity?

I have configured my card as a single DVB card, and I'm sure the analog
part is configured correctly as well - I can't scan channels at all on
the DVB side, but the analog channels scan fine; however, MythTV refuses
to tune them beyond the initial successful scan.

I can't even import a known-good channels.conf file that works fine with
mplayer - not only is MythTV unable to tune the channels, it also seems
to misparse the channels.conf file, as the number of channels it tries
to scan based on the contents of the file is considerably less than what
is in the file, i.e., I import a channels.conf file with 21 known good
channels, and MythTV (unsuccessfully) scans 6.  No idea what's going on
there.