[mythtv-users] mythmusic alternatives

Robert RobertCL at iname.com
Tue Jul 3 20:23:19 UTC 2007

Jonatan wrote:
> Robert wrote:
>> Matthew McClement wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>> Sounds like mpd(http://www.musicpd.org) would get you 90% of the way
>>> there. It's a music daemon that then has multiple frontends that can
>>> control it. Some of the web interfaces, like Jinzora, also allow you to
>>> decide if you want to stream the playlist to your machine or to play it
>>>    via mpd.
>>>
>>> It won't be completely integrated with myth, but depending on how many
>>> spare buttons you have on your remote you might be able to get away with it.
>>>
>>> Matt
>> Now that sounds more like it.  I'll have to have a look into it.  I
>> wonder how difficult it would be to write a Myth integrated front end
>> for something like that?
>>

> A few weeks ago I actually started to look into writing a mpd plugin based on
> MythMusic.  I haven't worked on it very much so there isn't that much
> functionality at the moment.  Currently it loads the entire library and all
> playlists, and also displays the current song, very much like MythMusic does.
>
> It doesn't support playlist editing, saving/deleting playlists, or selecting a
> song from the playlist.  Also, if you add/remove songs to/from the playlist from
> a remote mpd client, the change will not be visible until you restart the plugin.
>
> I don't know when I will add those missing features, but at least not during
> this week.
>
> /Jonatan

Brilliant!  mpd seems to be almost exactly what I've been looking for.
(Obviously I haven't been looking hard enough though as I needed someone
to point it out to me - thanks Matt!).

I've just set it up on my Mythbox, along with icecast (shoutcast server)
and the PitchFork web client and I can remotely play songs on my Mythbox
through to my hifi speakers as well as stream stuff to vlc on my laptop
if I want to, all controlled from a web browser on my laptop.  This
stuff is brilliant!  Don't know why I've never looked into this before.

All we need now is your Myth plugin so I can control it from the TV as
well :-)  Is the code available anywhere to try out / look at?

Robert.