[mythtv-users] Mythtv-vid branch, Need more horsepower!

Andrew Lyon andrew.lyon at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 21:43:24 UTC 2007

On 6/27/07, David Watkins <watkinshome at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27/06/07, Staffan Pettersson <staffan.pettersson at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I been trying out the new mythv-vid branch and i really like the opengl
> > renderer with the linearblend 2x deinterlace filter, It gives superior image
> > quality over xv bob 2x on my hdtv display. The problem is that my hardware
> > cant even cope with SD material with these settings :=(.
> >
> > My hardware is:
> > Pentium 4 prescott 2.4ghz
> > 512mb memory
> > Nvidia 6200 agp 8x card
> >
> > Hardware planning to purchase:
> > Intel dual core E6420, 2.13Ghz
> > 2GB DDR2 memory
> > Nvidia Geforce 8600GTS 256mb
> >
> > Will the new hardware be enough for all the mythtv-vid goodies?
> > My tv provider is soon to be providing Hdtv broadcast and the standard will
> > be H.264. My new mythbox must have power to decode this also.
> >
> > What do you guys think?  Is it good choice of hardware?
>
> There's a test broadcast in the UK of HD using H.264 (with MBAFF) that
> I am able to record.  I've just started to see reports of people
> decoding this using mythtv, but they're using 4+ GHz processors and
> (IIRC) proprietory codecs.

I have used coreavc codec to decode bbc hd h.264 with the directshow
patch by alan nisota, it worked fairly well but there were some slight
audio sync issues.

System is core 2 duo 2.4ghz with nvidia 7600GT 256mb, overclocked to
3.0ghz. 2gb ram.

Unfortunately I lost my mythtv "registry" file which contained my name
and serial number, and when i tried to reinstall the codec on my
windows workstation at work it said that the serial number had already
been used, I emailed coreavc about it and got no response.

Something (I seriously suspect the coreavc installer) blanked the
product key/code on my windows system, so the coreavc serial number
that was already in the registry was no longer valid as my product
key/code was no longer the same and it is used in the key validation.

The codec is no longer available for online purchase (i would buy it
again if it was!), the codecodec website says that sales will be "back
soon", its been like that for 3+ months.

</rant>

I dont think its possible to decode h.264 mbaff in real time with any
free codec :(

But transcoded to xvid, bbc planet earth is absolutely breathtaking!

Andy